Just, a really neato croton.
Paint me like one of your… Spanish girls? Oceanic girls?
- Binomial name: Codiaeum variegatum ‘Picasso’s paintbrush’
- Given name: Rahikainen
- Native to: Oceania, in open forests and scrub
- Bought: June 23, 2021 at House of Plants
- Original pot (current): 4 inch plastic
Field notes — June 25, 2021
- Soil: 2 (dry)
- Signs of pests: two tiny snails. Removed. Ran pointy cotton swab dipped in chlorhexidine (because both were nearby for dog paw care) around lip of pot in case of eggs.
Field notes — July 8, 2021
- Signs of pests:
- I saw a couple little white crawlers and a couple thin web lines. Treated for spider mites with Safer’s insecticidal soap. Haven’t seen any since, but will treat again 10 days from first treatment.
- Saw a couple bumps that might be scale. Stabbed with alcohol.
- Moved plant to isolation in living room window.
- Signs of care issues: leaves dropping every now and then, perhaps due to acclimation process to my house.
Field notes — July 16, 2021
- Signs of pests: none, but will re-treat July 18 for spider mites.
- Signs of care issues: several leaves now dropping each day, perhaps due to proximity of vent, lack of humidity, or underwatering
- Moved plant to dining room window, where vent is blocked and humidity is increased. Trying to maintain some isolation from nearby oxalis plants by 2 feet of distance. I hope it’s enough.
- Light: direct sun (brighter foliage); 5 hours or more
- Humidity: 60%
- Temperature: 15 to 27 degrees Celsius; avoid drafts
- Preference: slightly moist, but underwatering is better
Soil, fertilization, and pots
- Soil type: well-draining potting mix with sand, such as a mix of peat moss, perlite, and sand
- Fertilization: every 4 weeks, half-strength liquid fertilizer
- When rootbound, in spring or summer
- Go up 1 or 2 inches in pot size with drainahe
- If roots are in a tight ball, score with tip of knife
- Don’t pack in soil too tightly to prevent airflow
- Water after
- Grow style: fast
- Mature size: 3 to 5 feet wide shrubs in 2 to 3 years; mature height up to 6 feet; mature width up to 5 feet
- Common problems:
- Spider mites (clean leaves regularly during warm weather)
- Pruning: as desired